Station Style 2007 – Truro Township (Notable Career)
Truro Township, just east of Columbus, Ohio, set out to build their first new Fire Station since 1947. Sited on a corner lot one block east of a major arterial street, the new Fire Station “mediates” between adjacent residential neighborhoods and a busy commercial district. The design provides a stately structure that is easily identifiable as a Fire Station and Public Building. The new Fire Stations front entry reaches out to the corner to engage the public and contains a community meeting room which also serves as a training room for the firefighters. This public space is directly off the lobby which also contains accessible toilet facilities and an EMS treatment room for walk in patients. Vehicular circulation provides a clear public parking area adjacent to the front entry with a turn around and drop off feature. Firefighter parking is adjacent to a separate firefighter entrance via a covered porch which provides a private exterior space and grill area adjacent to the kitchen and dayroom. Chief Sharps, after living through many difficult addition and renovation projects, insisted the design built today must accommodate future growth. While the station initially was staffed with 4 firefighters and two offices for Fire Investigation & Fire Education, the facility is equipped with 10 bunk spaces and a Duty Office with a murphy bed. The apparatus bays are comprised of three drive thru bays with a half bay which serves as Battalion Chief parking, but is structurally designed to be expanded into a full fourth drive thru bay should the growth dictate. The apparatus bay also features a separate laundry room for gear, a custom hose drying area, and a toilet facility.